Sunday 1 May 2011

Venus Pool: 2 Hours Of Results!

So It's a sunny Sunday afternoon and I have been given a slot to go out for a couple of hours. With all the migrants coming through I thought why not sit it out at my nearest reserve Venus Pool. Maybe I'll pick something up?
On arrival I went to the main hide and saw a Lapwing close by and thought how stunning it looked in the light. Their feathers are amazing and produce many colours.




Then some action caught my eye, over by the new public hide, so I got my stuff, wandered round and sat myself down. The reason for my move was the chance to take photo's of Wagtails but my first shot ended up being a Lapwing in its infancy, one of 2 chicks (previously there had been 4) I wonder if any will survive?




Eventually the Wagtail action began with a very smart, yet surprising, White Wagtail showing up first. 




Much paler on the back than Pied Wagtail and with a defined contrast at the neckline between the grey and the black.
Then it was the turn of one of 6 Yellow Wagtails to give me a show. This particular bird was having a paddle.


Then out of nowhere came the one I had waited for, Channel Wagtail! This bird has been hanging around Venus Pool for a while now but I hadn't seen it. With it's pale blue/grey head, with strong supercilium and extensive white on its throat, this bird was simply something new for me to gaze at in wonder. This was a first for me having previously only seen Blue headed Wagtail which it is derived from.


What an afternoon. Then to top it all off the Little Ringed Plovers came the closest they have ever come to the hide when I have been there and I got my best LRP shot to date.


My afternoon was complete. All I needed to do now was go home for my Sunday Roast. Happy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment